Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Deep South
Of all the quaint southern traditions, manners ranks up there here in south Georgia. Children are taught early to respond to any question with a "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am". Older generations smile when they overhear it and parents beam with pride when someone mentions how well mannered their children are. I take offense to being called ma'am. I don't care for the title and didn't do anything to deserve the title. My oldest son spent an entire day responding that way. It caught me off guard the first time. Huh, I think to myself, how refreshing to hear that from his mouth. 6 hours later - of exactly 73 yes ma'ams I snapped. I actually screamed "If you don't stop saying that I am going to kill you in your sleep!" And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. I officially do not belong here. Now he'll use it every once in a while and I immediately glare daggers at him. He laughs and I know it's being noted somewhere that I am failing miserably as a traditional parent. I consider him lucky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment